Shimla

Queen of hill stations in India

In the days before independence, Shimla was the most important British hill station, and was the summer capital of British India. The British in 1819 A.D first discovered Shimla, but it was not until 1822 A.D that the first permanent house was erected and not until many years later that Shimla became the summer capital. The name Shimla is derived from the Himalayan Goddess Shamla a synonym of Kali.

All visitors to Shimla inevitably walk down the Mall, the main promenade that runs along the top of the ridge – a busy shopping area with old colonial buildings, souvenir shops and restaurants. At the top end of the Mall is Scandal Point, a large open square with a view of the town – a favourite rendezvous for visitors and the local people. Overlooking it is the elegant Christ Church with its fine stained glass windows. The labyrinth of Shimla’s bazaars spill over the edge of the Mall.